Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Our bags are packed and we're ready to go

We have planned this trip for months, now on the evening before our departure, there is nothing to do but wait.  Syracuse has experienced some wild fluctuating weather for the last three days and I am hoping there are no surprises in store for tomorrow.  Rich will take us to the airport around 2 o'clock.

I've visited all of my doctors--everthing is just fine.  I ran into one of my favoriate nurses, Juli, and when I told her of our vacation plans, she said, "Oh, Erin go Bragh-less."  That's why she is one of my favoriates, she always makes me smile.

I will miss seeing our children, grandchildren(sorry we'll miss your pit band performance Justin) and friends who are now returning home from the south.  We have been homebound by choice since December, and I'm loving the coziness of our home.  Thank goodness our boarders will take good care of the house while we are gone.

Our parents would be so surprised to learn that we are making this trip.  My parents went to Bermuda, Detroit, Washington, DC, Atlantic City (in it's hey day)Florida, Cuba, and visited relatives in the northeast.  Most of the travel was done before they had three children.  Bill's parents traveled out West a number of times, Mexico, Texas, Florida,Washington State, Georgia and Hawaii.  None of them ever went to Europe. 

My dad taveled extensively in the Pacific while he was in the Navy during World War II.  But he never talked about it.  I know he was in Hawaii, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa but have no details.  Some postcards he mailed home for Easter or Christmas had almost everything blacked out so the receiver wouldn't know the date or location.  How things have changed. Now we know where the troops are and what they are doing but most of us want them home. A friend was telling me that when her grandson was in the Army in Iraq, he would use Skype to keep an eye on his baby daughter in the states, while his wife ran outside to get the mail.

Next post from the old sod.

1 comment:

  1. Have a wonderful trip!! Yes, I know I don't visit you in Syracuse, But Ireland is a different story :=) Enjoy!! Have a safe trip!!See ya!!

    ReplyDelete